Pages

free Bio

This blog is managed by us two sisters, known to some as Ants and Epic. We're a pair of up-and-coming authors and avid readers. This blog is mainly full of honest, Christian book-reviews and an occasional update about our writing. We love hearing from you all so feel free to drop a comment anywhere to just say hi!
Also, got any book suggestions? Something you'd like to see reviewed? Leave the title in the comments and we'll try to get to it!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Manga Series Review: Remei no Arcana

 
Summary: "On that day, I became the enemy's possession," Nakaba thought as she stood there, knowing her destiny was to be married for convenience to keep the peace between her country Senan and Prince Caesar's country, Belquat; two neighbor countries on an island.
  Between the two countries there has been a constant war for 200 years and Nakaba has become a sacrificial lamb for her country despite the discrimination against her red hair and the sub-person (half-human, half-animal) Loki, who is her only friend and attendant at Caesar's estranged palace.
  But what will Nakaba do when she foresees an event pertaining to Prince Caesar's demise? Will she save him, or let him die in return to all the hate directed towards her by the people of Belquat?


Thoughts: Surprisingly I find myself reading a goodly amount of shoujo(girl)/romance manga despite not really enjoying the genre. I have to admit, I have mixed feelings on this one. While a good story of political unrest coupled with entertaining characters, there were a few twists at the end that I'm not sure I approve of...but no spoilers here. Overall I did enjoy this series which is nice, it being some of the few I can actually find in a bookstore! As stated before, this is a romance series focusing plenty on the aspects of a highly dysfunctional couple's growing relationship. But there is also a political side to it all as well, not everything is as it seems! And the fictional world earns 10/10 for being well developed all over! On a side note, while the art isn't exceptional or fantastic, it's still pretty in a typical shoujo way.

Content: I'm just going to start off with MAJOR SPOILERS and go from there. For the most part, aside from threats of bodily harm (to girls...if you know what I mean) to an occasional joke and the occasional D***, this manga is mostly clean but there are still three problematic scenes. 1 is when a married couple are briefly shown together in bed. 2 is when the married heroine and hero marry off separately to other spouses for political reasons but I don't believe there was ever a divorce. 3 is that in the end, and this might be the biggest SPOILER, we find out one of the supposed love-interests is actually the heroine's brother. Needless to say, I wish I had known about this development earlier so as to enjoy their interactions rather than groan over love triangles. Overall, while I wouldn't give these mangas to a child, I still think they'd be a fun read for mature readers of nearly any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment